I ran across this article in Salon the other day and thought I would share for your amusement, or disgust, or bafflement. Scary that many of these people are in high-profile positions in our homeland.
1) Same-sex marriage is an elaborate scheme concocted by lesbians to entrap men.
David Usher of the Center for Marriage Policy managed to cough up a theory that is an outstanding blend of homophobia, misogynist myths about the mendacity of women, and paranoia about the supposed gravy train that is child support. He argues that women will marry each other and conscript men into supporting them by “pretending they are using birth control when they are not.
2) Planned Parenthood is trying to get kids “hooked” on sex.
The theory, summarized in this amazing video, goes like this: Planned Parenthood lures otherwise asexual young people into thinking sex is fun (something they are dead certain that you would never, ever think if not for Planned Parenthood). They then trick them into having sex by telling them contraception works, but (evil laugh), the contraception doesn’t work and the young people get pregnant and have to have abortions. Which means profit for Planned Parenthood!
3) Gay men wear special rings for the sole purpose of giving innocent straights HIV.
(Pat Robertson, need I say more?)
4) The abortion-mad Chinese eat human fetuses.
The claim is sometimes that the Chinese eat “fetus soup” as an aphrodisiac, because concern that other people are enjoying sex too much is always part and parcel of any anti-choice urban legend.
5) Crazed liberals in Illinois want to teach 5-year-olds how to have sex.
A Chicago school district has implemented a mandatory sex education program for each grade level, leading Christian right publications to accuse the district of practicing “pedophilia” by trying to get kindergartners to think about “sex and sexual acts.”
6) Obama is the Antichrist and plans to rule America by sharia law.
Yep, there are still many who believe this crapola.
7) Charles Darwin took it all back the day he died.
This one has been around since the 19th century, but still has a significant amount of play on the Christian right, as part of the ur-conspiracy theory which holds that scientists are just making up evolutionary theory as part of a grand atheist conspiracy conducted for reasons unknown.
8) JK Rowling is trying to lure your children into Satanism with her Harry Potter books.
The furor has died down somewhat, but plenty of evangelical leaders still routinely claim demons can possess your body if you read Harry Potter.
9) Pro-choicers in Texas were planning to pelt the state senate with jars of feces.
This one rose up and was debunked within the space of six weeks over this summer of 2013. The claim, which unfortunately was given credence by the Texas Department of Public Safety back in July, was that evil pro-choicers were planning to sneak jars of poop into the debate and were only stopped by brave, poop-confiscating lawmakers.
10) Birth control pill turns your uterus into a grave littered with teeny-weeny corpses of fully formed babies.
Kevin Swanson, Christian right talk show host, expelled this one recently, claiming that “certain doctors and certain scientists” are finding that women on the pill have, “these little tiny fetuses, these little babies, that are embedded into the womb.” An evocative image, albeit one that requires not only falsely believing the pill “kills” embryos (it works by suppressing ovulation), but also simply refusing to believe that menstruation actually exists.